What do you think? Is this a case of
- Asymmetrically Dominated Option (Decoy pricing) to make it attractive to buy the middle option?
- Effective non-linear pricing to capture more value from those who want 3 baskets (like what we saw with hair-braiding case here)
- Deliberate mis-pricing to capitalize on those customers not so good at math?
- Deliberate pricing (with the separation of price postings) to capture consumer surplus?
- Math error by vendors compounded by customers’ reluctance to do the math?