Here are what I consider to be the most annoying mistakes I have seen in PowerPoint presentations.
- Showing a slide filled with words – like word vomit, then half-apologize for that by saying, “I am not going to speak to all the points in this slide”.
- A close cousin of Sin#1, asking audience to read through the word vomit.
- Adding a random picture haphazardly in the name of visual presentation.
- Rushing through the presentation to make every point the presenter already decided to make regardless of relevance to the audience.
- Showing a perfectly crafted eye-candy slide deck, impressing the audience with design skills and hoping no one will ask for data or question the analysis.
- Using meaningless chart constructs like reusing a bubble chart when there are only two variables.
- Hammering a trivial and irrelevant aspect of the slide because the audience didn’t right away appreciate the finer details.
Have you committed any of these?